With Christmas and the hot summer months, fast approaching, many owners, tenants, and letting agents will have been considering submitting applications for various items. Two, in particular, are Pets and Air-conditioners.
As Body Corporate Managers, we know the Christmas drill and see many of these applications submitted at times, 2 days before our office closure and the Christmas break.
The Committee is required to consider these applications by majority vote and list any conditions before approval. As Committee positions are voluntary, it may take time to receive a response.
We all know how rewarding it can be to gift a family member a pet on Christmas Day. At times, it is understandable that these decisions can be made last minute. There are some helpful tips below that may be able to assist in possibly fast-tracking your application process. The key here is communication and ensuring that you provide detail in your application to show that you have a clear understanding of what the Committee is required to consider.
If as an owner or letting agent, you first consider addressing these points below you may find the process progresses a lot faster than usual:
Body Corporate by-laws
- Does the pet adhere to the conditions set in the by-laws?
- Are there any conditions you need to consider?
- Is there a blanket approval for pets under a certain weight and or height? If so, does your pet qualify?
- Have you researched local council regulations?
Any other committee conditions you may need to consider before approval.
- There may be conditions that the Committee stipulates when approving pet applications. This would typically be relevant to larger schemes. Your Body Corporate manager may be able to assist with these.
Below you will find a link to a Pet Application form which you can download and keep on file.
When filling your form or drafting an application, it is important to ensure you include the following:
- Photos of your pet or intended
- Approximate size and weight (fully grown)
- Veterinary History (immunisations? desexed? etc)
- Any other details that you think may assist with your application
You may be a new owner who wants to install a new system or you may be hoping to install an additional system in another room before these hot Queensland summer months.
Again, there are details that the Committee must consider before approval:
Body Corporate by-laws
- Review all the relevant by-laws
- Are there any conditions that you or your nominated contractor need to consider?
Will the total cost be less than $3,000 and be considered a minor improvement?
- If the value of the system exceeds $3,000, a motion must be considered by all owners at a general meeting. (This does not apply to Commercial Modules)
Location of the external compressor
- Provide a drawing or photograph of the location
Provide a quotation from your nominated contractor and provide the following detail:
- Where will the condensate waste be discharged?
- What access the contractor will require?
- License number and insurance coverage
- Operating noise of the system
Below you will find a link to an Air-Conditioner Application form which you can download and keep on file.