As the holiday season approaches and the scorching summer days loom ahead, many residents in strata schemes are gearing up to make their homes more comfortable and welcoming. Whether you’re thinking about bringing a furry friend into your life or upgrading your home’s cooling system, securing approvals within a strata scheme can sometimes be a challenging task, especially during the festive season. As Strata Managers, we know the Christmas drill and see many of these applications submitted at times, 2 days before our office closure and the Christmas break.
In this blog, we’ll explore effective strategies to navigate pet requests and air conditioning approvals, ensuring you and your fellow residents can enjoy a delightful and cool summer in your strata community.
Securing Pet Requests
There’s nothing quite like surprising a loved one with a pet but in the excitement of the moment, it’s easy to forget the necessary steps for gaining approval from your Body Corporate Committee. The key here is communication and ensuring that you provide details in your application to show that you have a clear understanding of what the Committee is required to consider. Here are some tips to expedite your pet application process:
Review Strata By-Laws
Before considering a pet, carefully review your strata scheme’s by-laws regarding pets. Some schemes have strict rules, while others may be more pet-friendly. Understanding these by-laws is the first step in ensuring a smooth approval process.
- Ensure your pet complies with the by-laws in place
- Identify any specific conditions you need to address
- Check if there’s a blanket approval for pets of a certain weight or height; if so, ensure your pet qualifies
Research Local Council Regulations
- Familiarise yourself with local council regulations related to pets
- Be aware of any additional committee conditions imposed by the committee
Communication Openly / Collaborate With Your Strata Manager
If you’re considering bringing a pet into your strata community, initiate a dialogue with your neighbours and the strata committee early on. Address their concerns and demonstrate your commitment to responsible pet ownership.
- Larger schemes may have specific conditions imposed by the committee
- Consult your Strata Manager for guidance and assistance in navigating these conditions
Prepare a Comprehensive Pet Request
When submitting your pet request to the strata committee, ensure it includes essential details, such as the type of pet, its size, and any relevant documentation, like vaccination records. A well-prepared request can expedite the approval process.
- Attach clear photos of your pet or the intended pet
- Specify the approximate size and weight of the pet when fully grown
- Provide a comprehensive veterinary history, including immunization and desexing records
- Include any other details that might strengthen your application
For your convenience, here’s a link to a Pet Application form that you can download and keep for reference.
ACQUIRING AIR CONDITIONING APPROVALS
As the Queensland summer heat approaches, the desire to install or upgrade an air conditioning system is entirely understandable. However, similar to pet applications, air conditioner approvals have specific requirements that demand careful consideration:
Review Air-conditioning Regulations
Similarly, review your strata scheme’s by-laws regarding air conditioning installations. Understand any restrictions or requirements for such upgrades.
- Thoroughly review the relevant by-laws to ensure compliance
- Identify any conditions for you or your contractor to address
- If the air conditioning outdoor unit is to be installed on common property and the installed cost is over $3,000 it may require approval at a general meeting of all owners.
Provide a Detailed Proposal
When seeking approval for an air conditioning installation, provide a comprehensive proposal that includes:
- For the external compressor – submit a drawing or photograph of the planned location
- Disposal method for condensate waste
- Access requirements for the contractor
- Contractor’s license number and insurance coverage
- Information about the system’s operating noise
To simplify the process, here’s a link to an Air Conditioning Application form that you can download and keep on file.
Tips for the Festive Season
During the festive season, it’s essential to plan ahead:
- Be Mindful of Timing
- Avoid submitting pet requests or air conditioning proposals right before the holidays. Committee members may be less available, potentially causing delays in the approval process.
- Consider Committee Workload
- Recognize that committee members are often volunteers. Show appreciation for their dedication and be patient in awaiting responses.
Securing pet requests and air conditioning approvals within a strata scheme during the festive and summer seasons requires careful planning, open communication, and adherence to by-laws and regulations.
By understanding the dynamics of your strata community and following these guidelines, you can enhance your chances of enjoying a comfortable and pet-friendly summer in your strata scheme.
Remember, early preparation is the key to a stress-free and enjoyable festive season and summer in your strata home.